Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Word-lover frustrations

Sometimes words feel totally unnecessary, even grotesque and frustrating. I started my morning by listening to a youtube video of Vladimir Horowitz playing the great Rachmaninoff 3rd piano concerto. Watching this old gentleman sitting by his piano, his long fingers flying above the keys faster than an eye could catch, knowing he played this same concerto as just a 16-year-old when graduating from conservatory, thinking of what might be going on in his mind now, more than 60 years afterwards, still sitting in front of his piano, still finding those same melodies from the keyboard, I couldn't help but feeling words could never describe any of that. Sometimes I wish we could survive with a little less words.

As a writer, as a philosopher, as a student, however, I am stuck with words. Next article in a row waiting.

No comments: