Saturday, January 31, 2009

And what's so good about goodbyes

I'm so not going to go on about how I hate saying goodbyes since it's such an old news in this blog, but I do hate it. Just for the record, and I feel so lost now without my friend, sister, flatmate who was here all year and now is on her way to the world out there. And I'm happy for her and things change, life goes on, bla bla bla, I know this, I did it already a few times I tell you, but the bottom line here is partings don't stop hurting when we have found someone we feel good with, can share thoughts and life and good and bad and to be honest it doesn't happen all that often we could just spare them all away, does it?

Really, generally thinking about life and people in it, we are so messy nowadays. In the old days, so they have made us believe, people had their families and circles tightly around them all their lives long. They didn't move about every year and brag about being independent and globally conscious and whatnot. It's me I am critizing so don't worry, I live and let live since it seems I've got no different future ahead of me in this sense. I cannot stay in place, at least not now, and many of my friends are the same. I don't care to ask for the reason for it anymore either, it must be somewhere in this world and time, in our up-bringing and culture, in the so called globalisation we have grown into... And some goodbyes are already so often said I survive better after them, but the first round always tears worse. And it should, too. Getting too used to goodbyes makes us cynical and that's what we want to avoid, right? Feeling sad because people we care for are not here makes us human. Who would like to have a friend who doesn't feel anything anyways?

I once wrote about the fact of going up and down too fast and how it makes life somewhat more complicated but also more real. I would not be anything else and yet I would sometimes like to take the place where emotions locate out and let it sink in for a while before replacing it back again. Not looking for the easy way round, but hey, the school things and other work don't wait for being human. Productivity and capitalist world, you know. We can't afford to stop anymore.

Anyway. Glass half full and stuff, after the goodbye there is always the next reunion, which would not exist in the first place without the goodbye. And thank God for friends and tea and crêpes au chocolat just two houses away.

No comments: