Wednesday, January 28, 2009

All we need is...

Humanity.

Outside my window there's a real life winter wonderland. I was ill last week and just watched this lovely scenery develop like a nature show on TV. I was happy not having to be staying in alone: since the general epidemic of cold also hit my flatmate, there was someone to compare the feeling in the morning with, drink litres of tea and juice and force ourselves to eat something (mostly ratatouille, the favourite self-made fast food). Getting slightly better later in the week made us creative: two language-addicts took Boggle to another level by allowing all the world languages in the game. This naturally resulted mixed lists of Japanese, German and Swedish, among others. And dude, what's with the 'tude? Yep, we watched just a tad tiny bit of Gilmore, too.

Today so far I have replied to some emails around the world, helped my exchange-leaving flatmate to move and eaten pancakes and fruit salad for breakfast. In reverse order, actually. I also read my favourite international news page in the morning and was struck by the unfairness of the world and the unknown paths of it once more and again. There was a girl, my age, university student, keeping a blog of her life and thoughts, considering normal stuff like rollerblading and computers, amongst that thoughts and criticism towards the political police system of her country. She was murdered by a contract killer a week ago, together with a known human rights lawyer. Not so far away from my own country, not at all actually. Less than hundred years later after gaining our independece I do have the freedom of word in so many senses and yet I am out of words in here... Why are we so out of words and action while we have all the possibilities to see and to hear?

This is exactly the reason why I pick up my international relations course readings considering human rights even more eagerly today. There is just no way the unfair version of this game is going to win.

No comments: