Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Silent Nation

There is a kind of a national joke - the nation that remains silent in two languages. That's my nation of course, us smart, friendly and bilingual (or actually more in many cases) but slightly sullen Finns. Well I tell you what, as a result of looking for material to my essay for the course about Russian society, history and politics I ended up on website run by the CIA: "The World Factbook". There are facts and figures of all states in the world and I could not resist checking out what they say about Finland.

One of the figures was 6 080 000. Guess what that stands for? The number of mobile phones in this country. Population of 5 244 749 owns more than 6 million mobile phones. That's the Silent Nation alright.

Back to the Russian neighbours.

No comments: