Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Penguin philosophy

Sure I know I should be sleeping already. Instead I was watching "March of the Penguins", followed by the "Making of" and in between some penguin talk with a friend about just how great they are... And then finally, touched and amazed and saddened and delighted and basically everything a person can feel at once because of those funny black and white bird-fish-creatures who walk in this heart-warmingly toddler sort of way as if they never grew off of diapers, I ended up into another favourite thing: watching trailers. I got to say, there's just something about movies. In times only one is not enough but you want to grab a piece of as many as possible at once and for this trailers are excellent. Especially trailers of movies I've seen and know well - the worlds of them will come and relive on the metaphysical level of my thoughts even if I only saw two minutes of them. It's the same as when wandering about in a bookstore or a library and you just want to fill your senses with those endless rows of stories, already told and yet to be found. Walter Benjamin might whisper: this is it, this is the shock effect I already wrote about in the 30's, nothing is enough for you 21st Centurians. But I just want to be filled up with stories and lives and adventures and loves and dramas and wars and pictures of beauty in all world. Benjamin, if someone, should understand something about tries of grasping the big picture.

And penguins! They born, live and die on the White Continent, in the middle of 9 months of winter, carrying their eggs and babies on their feet for months and having no nest, no food, no nothing but their own fur and the others in the community to hold on to. Once in a while they march to the Ocean, and then back, in the long, loyal line of little butlers sliding on their stomachs... I've always had a soft spot for penguins but now I've completely lost my heart to them. Just how brave can the time guardians of the Antarctica be! Absolutely and utterly recommendable to know more of them, even if you wouldn't be quite as crazy about penguins as me.

No comments: