Thursday, August 6, 2009

Dedicated to the forest of my youth that is now just houses

Standing here
The old man said to me,
"Long before these crowded streets
Here stood my dreaming tree."
Below it he would sit
For hours at a time
Now progress takes away
What forever took to find
And now he's falling hard
He feels the falling dark
How he longs to be
Beneath his dreaming tree

(Dave Matthew's Band)

I gave Dublin a second chance and it definitly did its utmost best and here I am: with another city I long for. I'm only in my mid-twenties, what then when I'm eighty? I've got probably the whole world to miss.

My overly patriotic (despite all the travelling) summer is starting slowly turn into autumn schedule next week and the overly patriotic part is getting there to be finished, too. "Progress takes away what forever took to find" - or just the ongoing flowing forwards of life.

Today we thought about the fact how weirdly the technology connects sometimes many people into a place that seemingly is occupied by only one or two. If, for example, I and my flatmate are both at home and maybe both of us speaking in phone, plus we each got our laptops on and have some messenger or skype conversations going on there, that would connect at least four other people to our appartment - and knowing us, it would include already a couple of other countries, too. Wild. Even wilder would be to think of all those other people who'd also might be having their own messengers/skypes/telephones on and so forth - if we could draw a map of all of those connections, that would be one network in the best meaning of the word.

I'm tired, and this time it's not the physical jetlag. Maybe it's a psychological jetlag. My mind is sometimes having a hard time trying to keep up with life's changes.

No comments: