Friday, July 4, 2008

Almost on holidays

It is one great feeling to sit down in front of my laptop without being guilty of not-studying. The exam came and went by, no brilliant world-changing replies today I am afraid but at least some usual theories at the end of the essay about how to make our society a better place.

After exam I found myself in downtown, strolling about in shops and making discoveries: a summer jacket of sixty euros for only five, books by Politkovskaja and Coelho, some naan-bread and mango soap. Pretty well for a spontaneous shopping tour.

One week from now and I'll be landing to Paris Charles De Gaulle once again, quite exactly one year after the last visit. I do enjoy my life in Jyväskylä at the moment but I would not feel whole without these possibilities to live my more international life as well from time to time. There is something about being again the Finn, the foreigner myself, too; talking in languages, making notes of those little things that make my normal every day life and that of my French friends' similar and different at the same time. Feeling that there is so much more to this world than just my campus life at home, more than just the way I am used to do everything, and when I am somewhere else I can feel to be a part of it all. It is the feeling of certain freedom, having other things to think about than at home, seeing life in a little different perspective. It is in no way easier life and even with good friends not without occasional cultural controversies but it is more open, more viewable, more seeing the real thing kind of a position I feel to have. There is no better or worse, it is just simply different - and essentially one part of me.

Before France I've got a couple of things to do, and time to see some friends and to pack, and then I am off. After Paris it will be another trip to Latvia with my family and I am already looking forward to see the Baltic neighbours for the first time. Think it is time to let the blog have its holiday too, and you as well. Have a good and sunny one, wherever you are!

No comments: