Monday, August 20, 2007

Consuming energy

I´ve been feeling sligthly depressed lately, depressed and tired and frustrated and waiting for a chance to fly away. An impossible idea but how tempting it is... Tonight I had a forcing urge to fly around and so I took the bike and rode around the city for a couple of hours. It is one hilly town, being the most central of Central Finland, and it is an old, heavy, un-geared Jaguar I was riding. But the excercise was good for the anger and frustration inside me and the girl who returned was much calmer than the one that left.

I have been talking about the need to move with some people and found out that it is not only me who feels the unbearable want to use one´s muscles, to do something physical regularly. I become restless without excercise, restless and useless and irritated and there is nothing like the feeling after a well done workout. I dance for dancing, not for the excercise, but the workout belongs to the package and I have learned to love it, and even need it. Sometimes I just need to move.

I used to go running, which is a bit like flying, always my dream. I did not run all the time but some summers quite frequently still, until last year there came a doctor who pointed out it would be unwise of me to continue running too much. Due to the fact I teach Irish dancing that requires much jumping and therefore demands some unhuman attributes of my knees and ankles, I gave up my morning runs. However, ever since I have sometimes felt the old urge for running and could not do anything. Maybe now I have found it; I think I will take another bike trip again some time. It is not as enjoyable as running, nor as good excercise as a class of ballet or Irish, but at least one gets the extra energy out.

But tomorrow morning something else: finally the swimming hall is open again! Thank you for the end of the Finnish pride of summer, nature, and swimming in the lake. I am not too keen on this persistent attitude. I saw Jaws while too young and am still afraid of the sharks in Keitele.

2 comments:

Pälli said...

Hum, pakko kirjottaa suomeksi ku en muista oleellsia sanoja... mut ootko harkinnu koskaan rullaluistimia? Sehän on aika vauhdikasta, ja ehkä muistuttaa enemmän juoksemista ku pyöräileminen... vai onko sekin nivelille rasittavaa? En osaa oikeen hahmottaa...

:)

pm said...

Olen kokeillut rullaluistelua joskus, mutta tunsin oloni hieman vaaralliseksi niiden pienten pyörien päällä... Mieli tekisi kyllä oppia, mutta ajatus on toistaiseksi jäänyt luistimien ja opastajan puutteessa sivuun. Ehkäpä vielä jonain päivänä :)