Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Did you ever listen to Sting?

A week ago I went to my home town to visit my parents for the weekend. On the peaceful Sunday early afternoon everyone was doing their own things, spending a leisure noon time before early dinner and us leaving after that. I took my books for the bachelor paper with me downstairs to the room where my father keeps all his old LP-vinyls. (And he´s got a few of them!) I have some favourites among them and I listened to Sting whilst trying to study a bit of Walter Benjamin. It was a memory straight out of my "abi"-year spring, when I spent almost one month in that room downstairs all my school books around and studying for the matriculation exams. I asked to borrow the LP and brought it back to Jyväskylä with me.

Yesterday evening I listened to it and it filled me once again with anger and sadness when my always favourite Fragile started.
Here´s the lyrics (written by Sting) :

If blood will flow when flesh and steel are one
Drying in the colour of the evening sun
Tomorrow´s rain will wash the stains away
But something in our minds will always stay

Perhaps this final act was meant
To clinch a lifetime´s argument
That nothing comes from violence
and nothing ever could
For all those born beneath an angry star
Lest we forget how fragile we are

On and on the rain will fall
Like tears from a star
like tears from a star
On and on the rain will say
How fragile we are
how fragile we are


We are and there are people much more fragile than us still. How can things like economy, oil, citizenship, our own comfortability, be more valuable than lives and rights of people who have no choice to stand for themselves? This I cannot understand and never will, and probably will come back to it many times during this blog.

No comments: